Monday 28 March 2016

ˈpōs(t)kärd/ the Journey

post·card
ˈpōs(t)kärd/
noun
1.    a card for sending a message by mail without an envelope, typically having a photograph or other illustration on one side.

Some of you might have known that I am a postcard and pen pal geek. Well, not THAT geek, but I have been collected quite a lot of postcards and letters from all over the world. As far as I remember, I have collected four shoe-boxes of them. It is quite a lot, right? I suppose to have more than that, but I happened to lose some of the postcards and letters. It happens a lot when you send something and pay only with stamp, especially nowadays. People are not using it very often now, so I think maybe they take it for granted. I do not know, but yeah, that is happening.

From Aga Ridawan :)

He made such cute letter ever! *niat banget sih* :D


From Ainu :)


Being in Papua, I thought, will be so hectic that I won’t have time to do any paper-lettering anymore. I decided to leave my letter-writing stuff at home. I was sooooo sad! On weekend, I found myself stuck in my room doing nothing.  Well, there are lots of things I could have done, like cleaning up my rooms for instance. But, what’s after that? I would just scrolling through my phone, checking on social media until I fell asleep. And I would wake up realizing that weekend is almost over. That has pretty much my weekend routines for the last 10 months.

Around two months ago, I decided that I have to start writing again, send confetti to people with postcard or letter. I believe that there might still be people who miss getting one or two postcards or letters in this digital era. So, I sent around 10 letters and postcards already from Papua and I am so happy that some of them had reached their new homes safe and sound. However, here comes the problem. I lived quite far from the business area and I teach from morning to afternoon, Monday to Friday. I do not really have chance to buy stamps and give it to the post office. It is different than when I was in UPH. I could always go to the post office a walk away. Besides, I made friends with the receptionists in UPH (the one who takes care of packages/letters for all departments including our dormitory) so it is super easy to send anything.
Incoming letters and postcards all the way from Indonesia, United States, England, and Czech Republic

You probably think “then how do you manage to send those postcards and letters when you are in Papua?
Some of incoming too :)

Meet Ibu Cindy! She is a staff in our school. As a part-timer, she leaves earlier than other teachers most of the time. I get her to take my postcards/letters to the post office. Good thing is, she never refused to help me with it. So, thank you, Ibu Cindy! J

This is just an intro to many more stories of my pen palling journey. Stay tuned for the next posts! I am excited to show you some letters coming in to mailbox. Also, if you want to get a postcard or letter from me, just let me know! I will be so happy to send you one J

Until the next post.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment