Sunday 17 April 2016

The Power of Google Translate

Hi people, how have you been? Whoa, time flies so fast; we are in the third week of April already! I am so sorry for not being able to post regularly. To make up with that, I have something for you which I’ll keep for later. But, let me give you a little bit of the clue here.

As you know, I have lived in Papua for nine months. Three more months to come and it will be my one year here. I want to have a small celebration and I want to share that with you too! What is that? I will tell you later! So, be patient as I am so excited about this too!

source: libguides.madisoncollege.edu


Okay! Let’s go back to the topic of this post. Do you happen be on Instagram and follow my account? I know, what an over-confident kind of person I am :-P. Well, I am just asking if you just happen to do it. For those of you who follow my Instagram account, you will know that I started to post video blog or vlog. I have my own hashtag #GVLOG to make it easier for me to find mine. The very first vlog I made was after the Easter service. I talked something about not having a good sleep because something came up and I needed to make it clear a.s.a.p. Do not worry; it has been taken care of J
Here is the story; I updated my status on Easter Eve before I went to the service. It was a direct shared from my Instagram account to Facebook. I became friend with one of the student’s parents (not from my class). We attend the same church.

When I opened my Facebook, I got some notifications related to that post. Two of them were from the same person, which questioned me at that time. I was in the car when I read the comment from her asking, “kok kiamat sih miss, bukannya paskah ya?” She asked that doomsday comment after greeted me Happy Easter. I was shocked when I read it, and of course, I double-checked my post with this question, “Did I type something wrong? Or did someone hack my Facebook?” So many questions were inside of my mind and what I wanted to do at that time was to make it straight and clear. However, in that very moment, the internet connection was VERY slow so I could not browsed any site including Facebook.

The next day, when I met with that students’ parent (the mom), I showed her that I did not edit or write anything about doomsday on my post. It was resurrection that I wrote which Christians believe that on the third day Jesus raised from the death. Another question popped out, “did I say it wrong? Where in the world the word doomsday was showed in my post?” At that time, the mom did not bring her phone with her so she could not show me the word doomsday that she insisted I wrote on my post.

source: google.com

The following afternoon, I got a call from my mom. After a long talk, she asked me with the same question, “Why did you post about doomsday instead of Easter?” I was so speechless. After arguing with my mom with this and that, I finally figured something out. You can set to have your Facebook in various languages depending on where you live. If you  use Bahasa Indonesia, and happen to read my post in English, there’s usually going to be an option whether you want to translate my post into Bahasa or not. And usually, or sometimes, other people’s posts will be automatically translated. Sadly, this thing that supposed to be helpful for you is using Google Translate. And as you know, similar to Wikipedia, the content in Google Translate can be edited by just anyone in any part in this world. To make sure, I browsed translate.google.com and typed “kiamat” (English: doomsday) in Bahasa to be translated into English. It comes out to be Resurrection, with the capital R in the beginning. How sad!

I wowed for seconds knowing that even in the very last minute, the devil is working so hard to confront people. This is what I am going to tell you and myself: please be wise when you read or write something, especially when you plan to share it on social media. Not all people in this world, including your and my own “circle”, know English that much or as much as you do. Please be aware that they probably trust Google more than you do (even though you are a grammar patriotic). Google translate and other translation apps have become idols for many people out there nowadays. I believe you are not one of them.


source: mashable.com

To you and me whose English is not perfect and understanding is limited, we should choose a wise way by doing double check on people. If you love someone, you will know how to solve problems in a loving way too. Whether you listen or talk, humble yourself. Self-control is needed here too!

If you happened to experience the same situation as mine, please be calm and pray. Because when you get angry or upset or weak, and fall to that trap, the devil is very happy and he is laughing so hard on you and Jesus. The devil works when you are upset, sad, and weak. Be strong, always.
The world is already broken and this is another alarm for you and me.


Fasten your faith in Jesus!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment