Friday 4 March 2016

See what God hath done.


“Count your blessings; name them one by one…”

www.snazzylittlethings.com

Are you familiar with the lyric?

Yes, the first phrase is the title of the actual song, ‘Count Your Blessings.’
My students and I are studying about multiplication now. It is quite a hard topic for me. When I looked at the list of Math topics that we should cover in a year, the topic of multiplication caught my eye. How would I explain this to my students? Would they get it? Would they pass all the assessment? My mind was all over the place.

FYI, in our school, every teacher has to submit her/his weekly lesson plans. This is quite a challenge too! :P When making lesson plan for this topic, I was confused what to write on the Biblical Integration section. I had no idea until my playlist randomly shuffled to the songs Count Your Blessings. Light bulb popped up, flowed ideas naturally through my head. I eventually understood that God wants us to learn and realize that He has showered us with multiple blessings. It tickled me. I stopped for a while, questioning myself: how many times a day did I stop from all the works to count God’s blessings in my life? Sad but true, I have never done such thing, not even to think of doing it. Well, I probably have done it, but my complains always outweigh my gratitude. 

As a teacher, I can’t but to personally do the counting of all God’s blessing in my life first, before I taught my kids to do so. I went back to the good old times, when crying is the cutest thing ever (at least in my family, he he).

When I was three months old, my mom told me that if I did not get to meet the doctor immediately then I could not be able to live as I am now. There was a time when something wrong happened with my lungs that I could not breathe. We came not from a rich family. We only had one Vespa which my dad used to go to work at that time. We also did not have mobile phone. My mom was crying and clueless. We might not rich, but our God is.

A moment later, a woman who just moved to our neighborhood came back from somewhere (my mom did not ask her, he he). The Holy Spirit led my mom to her to borrow her bike. The woman agreed to lend it and even more panic than my mom did. Long story short, I was able to get the medication I needed, and ta-da! Here I am people! Way healthier than everyone could even imagine ;) This experience of how priceless breath is was the first blessing I shared with my students

I also shared about my educational experiences in hope to motivate my students. I told them that I always tried my best in every class and made my parents proud of me. I even went for extra lessons outside school hours. My parents did not have extra money to pay for another expense outside the formal school so I had to search all over Medan for the cheapest tuition fee yet that offer the best education.

It was still vivid, the memory of me, still in my school uniform, jumped off from one bus to another, knocking on the door. It was a long day. I almost gave up! I almost run out of money for bus fees and so decided to walk for couple blocks to save some money. I stopped by an institution and somehow felt led by the Spirit that encouraged me to ask more information about the tutoring program they offered. Praise the Lord! They asked me to take a test first (for free! :D). The result came about half an hour and I was placed in the upper-level class. The thing which made me excited and thankful was when they told me not to rush to pay for the book and tuition fees. 

Along the way, I got the first rank in the class and that gave me two months free for another level’s tuition fees. I made my teachers smile most of the time which made me realize that I was just like them in some ways. But I made my teachers sad too! Now I now that even teachers, in their process of becoming one, were not perfect. Whenever my teachers were sad because of me, it made me sad too. It was not pleasing to see your teachers or other people close to you become sad. Even from afar, it was still ugly. Therefore, I started to change my bad habits in order to make them sad no more. The Holy Spirit helped me. I am amazed by the ways the Lord provided for me and my family.

The last but not least, by the grace of God, I was accepted in a university by receiving full scholarship that covered almost everything. Is not it great? After graduation (through a lot of struggles, of course), I got opportunity to work right away, which for many people is hard to do. I took a deep breath and almost cried! I did not realized that God, throughout my life, has blessed me with multiple blessings – not onlyfor myself but also my family.

Have you stopped and thoughts of God’s blessings in your life?

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment